Thursday, November 19, 2009

Method 7: Bookmarking and Tagging

I found some interesting bookmarks from the San Mateo Public Library (?) - forgot to write down the name. As an academic librarian, I can see how social bookmarking might be a great tool for students who are researching common themes. I don't see myself using them much. As a cataloger, perhaps I am a bit too "hung up" on LC subject headings or other controlled headings. Personally, I don't yet have a glut of bookmarks on my MSN favorites, so see no need to use other sites to control them.

Actually, again I am referring to Amazon.com - but they seem to have a well developed system of social bookmarking and tagging already - even giving you an opportunity to add a tag to a favorite book. When searching favorite authors, I am also given pointers on other authors that I might like that are similar in nature to the books I am researching (i.e. "cozy mysteries"). I am also given the opportunity to see other book reviews written by certain people. In a way - quite gently and quite successfully - I have already been led along the path of social bookmarking. Very interesting. Perhaps later I will come back to the step and do some more exploring. Meanwhile, I am running out of time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment