Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Step 3: Cloud computing

First of all, I dutifully tried out both Google docs and Zoho. I uploaded a document from my pc and tried to add to or edit it in Google, but I found the interface "clunky" and difficult to use. I can see the potential in being able to move a document into Google, if I were writing a paper and needed to work on it using different public access computers. I could also see how it might be useful for a group project, where everyone could add their research to a document or spreadsheet, etc. When I went into Zoho, I decided to try out the e-mail, just for something different. However, after writing a brief message and trying to e-mail it to myself and another person , I was given the message the "the address could not be found". I tried going to what I thought was an addresses book and adding the contacts to it, but it would not cooperate. Since I have enough problems with my own microsoft e-mail, I do not think I will be likely to try anything with Zoho again.

I began to get a little paranoid when I heard the web called the "one" and THE machine and that our personal devices are like little mirrors looking into one supreme intellectual storage unit. I shook my head during part of the articles, and nodded agreement with those whose blog comments urged discretion. I don't really think that I will ever entirely endorse cloud computing for myself. However, I am grateful for the insight into the mindset of the younger and more techno savvy users. Of course, one of these days, an "AI" librarian may replace us all. Just look for me back in the dusty shelves with all the musty volumes and cobwebs! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment